Our aim is to provide state of the art treatment of Brain & Spine disoders, to every individual. Our experienced team of doctors lead by Dr. Rakeshkumar C. Luhana (M.B.B.S., M.S., D.N.B.) are efficient to treat all the Neurosurgical and Spinal disorder.
Dr. RAKESHKUMAR LUHANA is a Neuro Surgeon and Spine Specialist.
He did his M.B.B.S form M.S University of Baroda in 1999 and completed M.S (General Surgery) in 2002. After that he did his DNB (Neuro Surgery) at prestigious Bombay Hospital under Dr. C.E Deopujari and Dr. Rajan Shah and passed DNB examination at first attempt.
He went to Japan and did fellowship in advanced Neuro Surgery where he got opportunity to work with Dr. Hirotoshi Sano. Dr. Yoko Kato and Dr. Matoi Shoda. Subesquently he did his 2yrs Clinical Hands on Fellowship in Spine Surgery at University of Toronto under Dr. Howard Ginsberg (Spine Neurosurgeon) and Dr. Henry Ahn (Ortho Spine Surgeon).
He returned back to India in 2009 with a dream to establish “Spine Centre of Excellence” in Vadodara, He is practicing in Vadodara since 2009 as a Neuro Surgeon and Spine Specialist at Venus Super Speciality Hospital. His area of expertise and interest are:-
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Microscopic Spine Surgery
- CV Junction anomalies
- Spinal Instrumentation
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Hemifacial Spasm
- Brain Tumour
- Head Injury
Dr.JINIL N. DOSHI is a Spine Specialist. After completing M.B.B.S and M.S. Orthopedics (2014) from M.S University of Baroda, Gold medals, he did his Spine surgery training at AOSPINE Hong Kong and Davos, Switzerland.
Later He went to South Korea and did fellowship in Endoscopic and Minimally invasive spine surgery where he got the opportunity to work with Dr.Gun Choi well known Endoscopic and Minimally invasive spine surgeon.
He has attended various operative courses at Ganga Hospital (Coimbatore), Stavya Hospital (Ahmedabad), Bombay Hospital (Mumbai), Ramaiah institute (Bangalore) and various workshops, national and international spine conferences. He is doing exclusive spine practice at Venus Hospital as an Associate Consultant with Dr Rakesh Luhana.
WHEN TO CONSULT A SPINE SPECIALIST
1. Back/Neck / Leg pain.
2. Tingling / Numbness / Weakness in hands and legs.
3. Sciatica – If you have pain shooting down to leg from back.
4.Neck pain Shooting to hand / Tingling / Numbness in arms.
5. If you have to seat down after standing / Walking for few minutes.
6.If you have back pain and also have poor urinary stream /unable to control Urination.
7. If you have swelling in your back / tuft of hair; back / foot deformity / uncontrolled.
8. Spine and Spinal cord Injury.
9. Spine and Spinal Cord infection / Tuberculosis / Tumor.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON TESTS FOR EVALUTION OF SPINE.
Patient’s clinical examination is the most important for the further evaluation you may need.
- M.R.I ( Magnetic Resonance Imaging )
- CT – Scan
- Neurophysiologic evaluation
– N.C.V (Nerve Conduction Velocity)
– EMG (Electro Myo Graphy)
TREATMENT OPTION FOR SPINAL DISORDERS.
Based on Clinical and Radiological evaluation line of treatment is decided.
- Medical Management.
- Physiotherapy and Lifestyle Modification / postural care
- Pain Procedure (Radio).
Dr. Rakesh Luhana has one of the largest experience in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery in Gujarat. He was trained in the field by Dr. R Fessler (USA) and also at South Korea. He is regular speaker at various conferences and meetings on “Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery”.
Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery is an advanced technique for the treatment of patients with neck and Back problems.
In this procedure a small incision is made, tubular retractor is inserted, over serial dilates. After that procedure is carried out using a microscope. Post-surgery, once the retractor is removed, muscles regain their position. (muscles spreading , no muscle cutting).
Advantages Of The Procedure
- Very small incision
- Negligible blood loss
Muscles are not cut as the surgery happens through a key hole. Only the surgical site is exposed, nearby areas remain unaffected
Which all surgeries can be performed?
- Minimal Invasive Lumbar Microdiscectomy.
- Minimal Invasive Decompression of Lumbar Canal Stenosis.
- Minimal Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion.
- Minimal Invasive Cervical Laminoforaminotomy and microdiscectomy
- Performed Under Local Anesthesia
- Small Incision
- Early Recovery
- Same Day Discharge/Early Return To the Work
Minimally Invasive Retrosigmoid Approach (MIRA) is an Endoscope assisted key-hole surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia, Hemifacial Spasm and small CP Angle Tumors. Dr. Rakesh Luhana and Dr. Bhavin Parkh (Lateral Skull base surgeon) has ample experience in this field and doing these surgeries with remarkable success and safety. This team is doing Presigmoid approach frequently and having one of the largest series of Presigmoid approach for CP Angle Tumors in Gujarat.
- Dr. Rakesh Luhana 90+ trained under Salwart of Pituitary Transnasal Endoscopic Surgery.
- Dr. Rakesh Luhana made up team with Dr. Sachin Patel (ENT Surgeon) and performs Transnasal Endoscopic Surgeries frequently with remarkable success.
Signs/Symptoms: Severe Leg pain (Sciatica), Tingling/ Numbness/ Weakness in Lower limb, Bladder/ Bowel function impairment.
I. Minimally invasive micro discectomy:
II. Micro Discectomy: A small incision is placed in back under microscope, a small fenestration is made impinging disc fragment is removed and nerve root is made free.
III. Percutaneous Transforminal Endocope Disectomy.
- Leg/back pain Tingling.
- Pain/Heaviness on standing/Walking.
- Unable to stand/walk for more time.
I. Operation through Microscope.
II. MIDSS : Minimally Invasive Decompression of Spinal Stenosis High-Tech, key hole
surgery in which pressure is removed from the nerve with Minimum Bone Drilling.
III. LAMINECTOMY: Reducing pressure on nerve by removal of Lamina.
- Back pain/ Leg Pain/ Problem in Standing / walking for more time.
1. Minimally Invasive Transforminal Lumber Interbody Fusion (MIS-TLIF)
- Percutaneous Pedicle Screw placed.
- Minimally Invasive Decompression of nerve root.
- Cage placed in disc space.
2. TLIF- Transforaminal Lumber Interbody Fusion
- Pedicle screws placed in Vertebra and cage is placed in disc space.
- Pressure on nerve is released under microscope.
- Neck and Hand Pain, Tingling / numbness / weakness in upper limb
- Problem in balancing of legs while walking
- Heaviness / Numbness / weakness in legs
1. Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion: A disc is removed and spinal Cord is decompressed and a bone graft with plate /cage is
2. Cervical Disc Replacement: After doing a Cervical Discectomy instead of Fusion; artificial disc is placed. It will
maintain motion and prevents accelerated adjacent segment degeneration in future.
3. Minimally Invasive Cervical Laminoforaminotomy with Microdisectomy: Under microscope a small window is made in Lamina and Lateral mass and nerve root is decompressed through METRx tube (18mm).
WHEN TO OPT FOR SPINE SURGERY:
Spine Surgery helps in improving way of lifestyle in major ways.
- Intolerable pain in legs and hands or weakness.
- When MRI detects the same and there is no relief through medical management or physiotherapy.
- If the operation is done, at right time, for right problem and through right procedure, then it becomes a success.
- Do not be afraid of spine surgery.
- Take a decision by discussing with the specialist.
IS SPINE SURGERY SAFE?
MYTH : High Morbidity & High Mortality.
TRUTH : Safe, High Success Rate.
AFTER OPERATION CARE:
- Follow the advice of the doctor
- Walk Regularly
- Exercise Regularly
- Change your Lifestyle
- Lose and regulate your body weight
The Above care shall help you to get best results from the operation and will help you to recover faster, and prevent future spine problems.
MOLLER- WEDEL HS Hi-R 700 MICROSCOPE :
HIGH SPEED- DRILL SYSTEM:
MISONIX BONE SCALPEL+SONASTAR ULTRASONIC ASPIRATOR
INTRA OPERATIVE NEURO-MONITORING (IONM)